Sunday, November 22, 2009

Kicking off a week of 'Thanks'

I want to take this week and focus on the 'Thanksgiving' spirit. Over the past month I have been reading 'The Grapes of Wrath' again (only read it in high school previous..so it's been awhile ;) This year has been so painful for so many with our economic downturn. Job loses, home foreclosures, and the stock market plummeting. It has soured and embittered many of us.
This book has reminded me of how, through the changes that occurred after the Great Depression, many of us are not living in 'Hoovervilles' and watching our children slowly starve. Perspective.

I've done my fair share of griping about how this year has set our family back from our goals of being able to move and working in jobs we are excited about. I need to stop my griping. I am thankful that we have a cozy little house, enough food to eat and jobs that while they aren't hip, do pay the bills.Life could be so so so much harsher. Today I am thankful.

Jenni ~ DutchTouchBeads

4 comments:

  1. Amen! I agree! Sometimes its hard to not compare yourself to others who seem to have so much more...its good to take a step back and look at what you do have to be thankful for :) great post Jenni!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post! I agree.. always good to be thankful for what we do have.
    ps. I can't believe you have snow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cabin ~ pic was from last year xmas...we got a foot and a half!! Not even a hard frost year...yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your home is lovely. Well said... I am thankful too. I've never read that book - sounds too sad to read. Happy early thanksgiving :)
    31everything.com

    ReplyDelete