Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Trials and Tribulations of a Novice Photographer

I love making jewelry.

I hate taking photos. It is the bane of my existence.

I began this uphill learning curve last winter when I started snapping photos of my jewelry for my shop's launch. They were horrible. Horrific! Lighting all wrong, cluttered backdrops...everything you are not suppose to do, was done. I read as much on the etsy forums and storque articles as I could, such as this article:

http://www.etsy.com/storque/how-to/shop-makeover-series-feature-friendly-photos-3222/

I didn't have the funds to purchase a new camera, but it was on my list. My little Nikon 4200 Coolpix was already a few years old, but it was going to have to do.

I experimented with lighting, backgrounds, angles and some times it would come together. However, I was not able to take close up shots, which limited my ability to highlight some of the more intricate beads in my designs.

Recently, my hubby found a smoking deal on www.ecost.com for a FujiFilm Finepix S1000. It wasn't the SLR style camera I was saving up for but it did have a 12x zoom. Hence, I have been re shooting many of my items in hopes of offering better pictures to showcase the true color and nature of my work.
I feel like I'm starting all over again on this photography learning curve.

Before w/Coolpix:


After w/Finepix S1000:

But, I am struggling, especially with blue and green colored items. They just seem to be washed out. I suppose I need to learn to operate this camera better than just using the 'auto' function with super close up clicked. lol.

Any tips from the pro's out there?
Back to the studio for me.
Cheers, Jenni

5 comments:

  1. You have some great shots now! Those close-ups can be so hard, but so important with jewelry. Kudos to your perserverence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. what a difference... it is way sharper.
    As for tips... hmm.. for sure you will have more options in manual mode. On our camera, you can choose what kind of lighting situation you are in (daylight, cloudy flourescent, etc) and it will rebalance the colours).. also your camera may have a macro setting, which would be good for close-ups. now i am dreaming of a Nikon SLR... hope to get one, one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cabin! Thanks for the tips I will check it out..the manual with my camera is completely lacking in advice...lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a difference!!! Your photos look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos look better!

    Sometimes you can find a more in-depth camera manual online. Google your camera model name and the word "manual".

    ReplyDelete